Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Two For Tuesday

Here are a few thoughts on two random topics for today......


*Happy St. Patrick's Day! Hope you wore your green or you were likely was on the lookout to pinch someone and was delighted to discover that J.J. didn't have on green when he returned home from work. Perhaps she was scared, but she decided to kiss her daddy instead of pinching him. One of my favorite legends about Saint Patrick is that he used the shamrock to explain the holy trinity, one God in threee divine beings, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. He used this plant to explain three in one, one stem with three leaves.

*Third grade math can be challenging. And this is coming from a certified K-6 educator. Hayden is now into his geometry unit. Must I say that geometry was my worst subject ever? What I remember t's better to cheat than repeat." And I must confess that I took his advice. Now back to Hayden....I am being bombarded with terms such as polygon, acute, obtuse, vertices, perpendicular, and congruent. Hayden is examining triangles to determine if they are right (that's the easy one), scalene, equilateral, or isosceles. I am straining my brain to recall the basics in order to help my child get it. Heck, I don't even half get it myself. Now I know what we can do with our tax refund. We need to open up a separate savings account to pay for a future math tutor.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is safe to say that geometry is useless, with the exception of architects and pool players. And I totally cheated my way through high school geometry. But it was allowed... we could have a full sheet of notes handy for tests. How pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. I know what you mean! Helping kids with homework makes my brain work as hard as actually going to school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are totally scaring me! I can't believe that's just 3rd grade math...I'm in BIG trouble..big trouble!

    ReplyDelete